Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Simple Quilt Top



Several years ago I started this simple quilt for my son's twin-sized bed. Fast-forward to today when my son has two children of his own, and these rows of quilt squares have sat in a drawer until recently. I decided to adapt this simple quilt top to fit a double bed for my guest room.

Today's manufactured comforters have a middle layer that consists of pieces of stuffing rather than one nice solid sheet of batting. I have become so frustrated, trying to buy a decent cover for my double bed. I have returned several quilts or covers, whether they were cheap or costly, because they have fallen apart in the laundry.

I bought similar pieces of fabric to make a border around the above squares to increase it's size. My project in the photo is draped over a table and chairs; I'm pleased so far. After I add the batting, I will back the layers with a dark blue sheet. I plan to quilt this by machine and make some machine pillow shams.

I will post future pictures.

1 comment:

Sue Beamon said...

I love your quilt top. I know how it is when you have to stop and start when making one. My mother made 13 quilts by hand in one year for all of her grandchildren for christmas. So I decided to try it. I made four started off doing it by hand and decided to finish with the machine. If you would like pictures let me know. My husband made me a quilting rack that hangs from the ceiling so I could work around it. Enjoyed writing to you, Sue Beamon